Monday, February 23, 2009

Scratch Film Junkie all day long.

Last class we watched our second scratch film junkie’s short and have to give a response. So I kind of jumbled all of my notes together in single words and hoped to later develop them. This is my attempt. Be forewarned, none of this could make any sense, but hey, I’ll try.

Firstly, I felt more comfortable watching this one over the first one because I felt it was longer and had more variety of film manipulation but also I feel like I have a better understanding of what is going on and how they did certain things. Even though we have only done our first assignment so far, I feel much more familiar with this style of film and the techniques involved with manipulation. Now I am going to try and explain what I saw as I saw it on-screen. There were green fuzzy circles that to me looked like some type of weird superhero video game DNA strand. Then there were arrows that were transparent with an outline or completely white that moved around. I liked this part because I tried to do this for our elements project and it worked out pretty good except for the section that my printer missed. Of course the scratch film did it 10x better than I did but hey, one day, maybe. Then there was a man’s face with black circles on waves that had holes… it looked like more DNA strands. It was vertically based and horizontally based waves with random holes though and that looked really cool to do. I think the holes were just punched out but I am not sure how the waves were done. Interesting though. There was a section with something that looked like smoke. More circles with stars… scratch film junkies love their shapes. Then there were people dancing to the beat of the music and objects were masked with others. Also there was a variety of colors here that created some really cool frames.

One of my favorite parts was when there was old footage of a little boy shown and his body was distorted because half of it was on one frame and the other half on another but the frames were cut in half and then spliced together. It looked like the film was messed up or something was wrong but there wasn’t. The plane slowly moving toward the viewer and then taking off superimposed with other objects was awesome. I want to mess around more with film stock and scratch on that. I like having something going on in the background with the manipulation taking place in the foreground, it always creates something interesting to say the least. There were black and white lines toward the end that moved crazy on the frame, I think this was more scratching done. I loved the ending though with the man with the mask on, half buried in the sand, moving around like a tether ball on a pole. It shows the fun and good times in this whole short and it fits perfect because it is completely playful and entertaining but has no definite meaning, just like the rest of the film.

Well it’s the end of my blog, so I’ll wrap up with my thank you speech (the oscars did just occur, after all). Don’t worry it will be quick. I’d like to thank Thad Povey for his crazy mad creations and A Silva for letting us be exposed to this awesomeness and my parents for bringing me into this world. None of this could be possible with out you. Long live scratch film junkies.

LWR

No comments:

Post a Comment