Wednesday, March 25, 2009

48 Hour Video Race... Flashbacks of FST201.


The picture to the left is an example of a picture I used in one of my FST 201 class that I edited in photoshop. I think I am going to try this technique for my whole project... I explain more in detail below.....
Assignment #5, the 48-hour video race, is what first interested me in 6x1. I saw all of the videos from last semester when I went to the screening for my FST 302 Doc film. I thought they were really cool and unique since the class couldn’t use any actual cameras or videos. At the time I wasn’t sure what 6x1 was but these minute films seemed really cool. I also spent time in editing lab working on my FST 302 Doc while Dustin was editing his 48 hour video race so he told me about it and he’s was amazing. I also helped Kyle with his when he did it. It was really cool seeing one of my friends write “cookie” in the air and take a photo of it, combining it with many others to make a story.

It reminds me of my days in FST 201 with Shannon, where before there was a time when FST 201 actually used real cameras, we had to shoot all of our project with digital photo stills all placed together to make a compelling story. At first I wish we could have used cameras to film with but this method helped me understand how film breaks down, frame by frame, and I think it was a good start to my film major. Now I get to go back to those days with this assignment and use types of media other than video or recording to do this. Since I enjoyed using my camera so much during FST 201 I have decided to use my digital camera for this project and do a combination of stills to make a story with the mystery prop and a cheese sandwich. I went to Jungle Rapids the other day and saw that they had three different booths to do photos but for 16 photos it was $3. So even though I think it would be unique and might have a cool turn out, I have to pass on that idea because of the cost. I also have a video recorder on my camera but I think that takes away the fun from the project because even though the quality is bad, it is still a way to record. Other ideas that we discussed in class like scanners once again can become to costly and right now I am not one to be spending much money. I am a broke college student, remember.

Another method that I am thinking about tying in with my digital photo stills is camera phone pictures. I have an application on my phone (no its not an iphone) that I can take a picture and automatically upload it online. So I can use a combination of phone photos and camera photos to make my project. I also think I might mess around with them in photoshop to see what cool stuff I can do to make it different from the average combination of photos. I think it will be fun and I can’t wait…. One more week! P.S. I feel like the mystery prop is going to be a baby toy or something… ha. Lets see if I’m right.

LWR

No comments:

Post a Comment