Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My empty space... my rough theatre. x3.

First off, my computer sucks and I think I got a virus over the weekend so I am trying my best to do this without losing my patience. This now is my third attempt at doing this blog… Sorry if it is not as long as the others or what not… but I just am trying to finish it and get it posted at this point. Technology: love to hate it and hate to love it.

Onto the rough theatre. The article talks about the difference between the rough and the popular theatre. The rough theatre to me is like the basics of film making. It is a lot like 6x1 and the projects we do in the class. We scratch film, manipulate it, process it, and so on and so forth using the old methods to create a film. Films that would be considered experimental to most, but still a film. It is rough, much like the theatre described in the article. It is small, made up of tools and resources that are easily accessible. It is a place that doesn’t have the most eloquent seating and the stage is probably a small dirt area in front of the audience. Then there is the popular theatre. It is the more technical side of the film business and more popular. More people are familiar with it and it is what has the most success. The popular theatre has a huge stage, side balconies, and a huge area for seating for a vast audience.

My favorite part of the article is when it talks about the rough theatre, “If we find that dung is a good fertilizer, it is no use being squeamish; if the theatre seems to need a certain crude element, this must be accepted as part of its natural soil. At the beginning of electronic music, some German studios claimed that they could make every sound that a natural instrument could make – only better. They then discovered that all their sounds were marked by a certain uniform sterility.” I thought this was a perfect breakdown of the rough theatre as it talks about the dung being one of the tools that helped create this area and it worked. The dung, although it smells horrible, helped hold the sound from the instrument better than any other resource they could use. They took what they had and made it work. That is how I feel 6x1 is. We have six different projects and each one we use different resources provided, including our brains, to get creative and create our own version of the rough theatre. I am glad I got the chance to take this class and create my own rough theatre over and over, because before taking this class I probably would stay away from projects like this but now, it has opened up my eyes and I love it. I love my empty space.

LWR

No comments:

Post a Comment